Thursday, March 10, 2011

Article Introduction

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20110304-u.s.-unemployment-rate-falls-to-8.9-percent-in-february.ece

Jobs! We all are going to need one as soon as we graduate, right?! I chose this article which discusses the current unemployment rate, which dropped to 8.9 percent last month. As this percentage is a two year low, according to the article, I can only hope this number continues to drop and there are plenty of job opportunities available by the time I graduate.

The article states that private businesses hired 220,000 employees last month, and the new rate is keeping Americans in hopes that businesses will begin to aggressively hire and strengthen the economy. The net number of jobs the economy added in February was 192,000, a sharp increase from the 63,000 jobs added in January. This is exciting to me because it means that many Americans are going back to work, and coming from a family that has had someone laid off I know this will increase not only morale in the home, but in the economy, as well.

Although these numbers are promising, the article also states that with rising gas prices businesses may begin to hire less, and on the other end of the spectrum people who were not looking for jobs may begin to now look for jobs, encouraged by the drop in the unemployment rate. Since people who are not searching for jobs are not counted in the rate, when they begin to look and cannot find a job the unemployment rate will rise again. Whatever the outcome, this month these numbers are promising!

No comments:

Post a Comment